Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Planners in the Region...


Everyday other day I find myself browsing through the UK's APG and every other day I worry when I look at the trainings scheduled for young planners ( some listed below)...The dates are too far apart to actually fly to London for all of them.

How to Brief Creatives for Advertising
How to Understand and Use Quantitative Research :
How to facilitate inspirational brainstorming and generate fresh creative thinking
How to Brief Integrated Campaigns
Getting to Know Brand Frameworks & Tools
Understanding Econometrics
Mini Business School
How to make your IPA paper a winner
Intensive Induction into Account Planning

The lack of proper training for junior planners in the region is a scary thought...it's left up to you to extract your education from other peoples blogs, agency planning kits, APG papers and your seniors, but that really only gets you so far...

I know there are some great senior planners in the region who are capable of holding training sessions or facilitating discussion for younger planners and one another, from Brenda, Angela, Prabs, Anil, to Ramzy and many more I'm sure I have yet to meet. I'm equally as sure that there are some pretty fiesty young planners who would definitely throw some serious passion and dexterity back the other way, Incognito, Hadi, Rayan & Talal...(let alone aspiring planners)

Thus this little post is a form of an attempt to spark some talk about creating some form of an informal planning group in the region, be it as simple as getting together every other week for a chat...(as Incognito mentioned to me)


Thoughts?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's start our mini APG in the region, a replica that starts as an informal 'thought club'.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Thanks M, grab my email off the contacts and send me a heads up to add you to the list.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here here X. Thank you for the tip of the hat there.

With all of the great conversations on this blog (Especially of late), I think it would be great to start something in this region and start with the simple exchange of ideas.

I'm in. Let's get this thing started. How about we meet for a morning coffee/breakfast every other week?

Any suggestions on date/time/location? Perhaps we should let someone different host it everytime?

Today coffee. Tomorrow the world. (Does anyone here the Pinky and the Brain theme song ringing in their heads?)

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've attended a major APG conference and about 3/4 of their tea parties.

Despite an impressive screen it really is little more than...well...a wanky tea party.

I think the 'idea' of an APG meeting often is the real benefit. But hey, how am I, just someone that thinks Russell Davies has way too much time on his hands and is a crap photographer

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea - X. You're doing the right thing.

If in any of your meetings, you feel like inviting people from the creative side - I'd be happy to get a taste of what's cooking -could even tell more people about the initiative on my advertising and marketing blog

farrukh

4:16 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Hey Farrukh, ya that would be great, appreciate the support.

Incognito, sounds good to me. Depending on who wants in, lets leave location open for now.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when and where is this?

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

VCU Adcenter has a great planning program.

www.adcenter.vcu.edu

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home