Monday, September 10, 2007

1ST rule of Youth Marketing 'BE COOL?'



I was at a youth conference quite recently and I remember a 50 year old man on stage who resembled more of a stoned car salesmen with a 9 point plan talking about how to 'target' youth. Right before the toothpicks holding my eyes open snapped, I recall a slide telling me that i need to 'BE COOL'. Which made me think of the plethora of youth marketing rubbish out there that follow the same yesteryears zeitgeist emulation strategy as the man lecturing me. I started thinking of the abundance of mind boggling slogans and scripts crafted for youth that are 'as cool' as your drunk dad dancing the watusi on your 16th birthday party…

Youth nowadays (losely defined as anyone with an alter-identity in the virtual world) can spot a fake a mile away.

Ok, so the point I'm getting it is that Y&R (i think it is Y&R and if it isn't please sub in the respective agency responsible for this spot)seemed to have missed that conference I went to, enabling them to do something that in my personal and ,contrary to popular belief humble opinion is pretty damn good!

I love this spot, think it's great and I am seeing loads more Ford Edge's on the street so I'm both assuming and hoping it is effective.

So hats off to the people responsible for this spot not to mention the music selection, I'm actually trying to find the title for.

Bravo Y&R

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you find out the name of the song?

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being cool is a relative thing. I personally hate this ad, and feel that it is a very contrived version of "our product makes you feel hip" advertisinig.
In some ads people smile when they see the product, in others they beg their daddy/mommy for one, and in this they dance.
I think it was well executed, but for me its another cheesy feel good about our product commercial.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would agree with the point of it not being a particularly novel idea...but the execution is sound...and in the end, I think anyone who lives here knows that people just love it

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeeeeah, that's really really cool

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home