Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Thesis: Does music sound as good when free?



Here is a bit of a ramble. Was wondering to myself if it's tougher for new music artists to recruit fans.

There is some psychological term for the phenomenon that the more we invest in a possession the more we appreciate it and vise versa. So if product A cost me 20$ and product B (which is a replica of A) cost me nothing, I would appreciated A more. (Something to do with behavioral justification to avoid cognitive dissonance).
Does this mean that the possibility of artists recruiting fans has been seriously reduced? The music we discover on the radio, on Pandora, through a friend or wherever, we are most likely going to download for free or for a buck at Itunes as opposed to actually paying 20$.
At best, ill download more songs by the same artist which could in itself be defined as an evolved type of fan.
I wonder if it still sounds as good...interesting little thesis 'Does music sound as good when free?'
For those of you that read this far...arigato.

Ps. Vote for Trilogy resident Ali Ajami for DJ of the year here

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post...there is music that I have fallen in love way past the napster phase through a recomendation, or someone sending me a track...but I'm not sure how that would have changed had a bought the track itself. I guess peoples loyalties are diminishing, i think it also has alot to do with the fact that before you bought a cd for a song, artists with hit singles used to get most of their albums exposed, now you don't need to buy 13-15 tracks to listen to 1 track.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure there was much loyalty in the first place. Loyalty through lack of choice isn't really loyalty per say. I am loyal because I am with my partner or because I am with my partner I am loyal...not sure if that makes any sense.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...It doesn't

SN

10:42 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Goanna have to agree with SN on that one...

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On one hand, I often go to music stores and buy various albums, old or new. But on the other hand, I have an ipod with 649 songs that Ive downloaded illegally. (not that im proud of it or anything)

Ok, I guess what im trying to say is: for me, its not about whether the music is free or not. I like the convenience of being able to get on my laptop and download any song that just pops into my head and "drag & drop" it on my ipod. Also, living in the middle east, a lot of the music sold here is censored. Who wants to listen to a song that sounds like its on a scratched CD?

S!

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home